Your Home

Repairs to Your Home


The Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 states that where the landlord has granted a tenancy, the landlord will normally be responsible for:

  • Keeping in repair, the structure and exterior of the home, including drains, gutters and external pipes

  • Keeping in repair and proper working order, the installations in the home for the supply of water, gas, electricity and sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths and sanitary conveniences), but not other fixtures, fittings and appliances for using the supply of water, gas or electricity

  • Keeping in repair and proper working order, the installations in the home for space heating and heating water

‘Keep in repair’ means that the landlord must keep up the standard of repair from the start of the tenancy. The landlord must also ensure that the premises are put into repair even if they were not in good repair at the start of the tenancy. ‘Repair’ does not include any duty to carry out improvements. A claim by a tenant to a landlord because of an attack of black mould in a property was rejected by the courts as the damage was due to condensation and did not directly result through any disrepair.

Now and then, you’ll need repairs carried out. We will do some of them, and others, will be your responsibility. You have to repair damage caused by your family or visitors.

The following table is a list of some common repairs that are your responsibility and those that are Inquilab’s. The list is not intended to be exhaustive. If you have any questions on the responsibility of a repair, please contact us.

Your Responsibility

Outside your home

Door bells

Glazing (unless caused by a crime and you have obtained a specific crime number)

Pests such as mice, wasps and cockroaches

Sheds and outhouses

Garden fencing, front and rear

Inside your home

Blocked toilets, baths and basins, toilet seats, shower heads and hoses

Internal decorating including floor coverings, doors and locks

Light bulbs, including fluorescent strips

Batteries in smoke detectors

Inquilab's Responsibilitiy

Outside the home

Door entry systems

Windows and frames (but not glazing)

Roofs, gutters and down pipes

Boundary fencing

Inside your home

Annual Gas Service

5-year annual electrical inspection

Replacement of toilets, baths and basins (fair wear and tear only)

Replacement of kitchen (fair wear and tear only)

CCTV, smoke detectors and fire alarms in communal areas

When you report a repair

When you report a repair, we will give you a job reference number and the name of the contractor who will be doing the work. You can choose the following appointments:

  • Morning or afternoon

  • The first or last call of the day

  • An appointment between 10am and 2pm to avoid the school run

Types of repair

Repairs fall into one of three categories:

  • Emergency repairs, which we aim to carry out within 24 hours

  • Routine repairs, which we aim to carry within 14 calendar days

Most repairs fall into the routine category.

Emergency repairs and how to report them

ALWAYS report an emergency repair to Inquilab by calling 0208 607 7777. Our out of hour’s service will take your call when the office is closed.

An emergency could be:

  • A water leak you cannot stop
  • An electrical fault that means you have no lights or power
  • The total loss of an essential service, such as gas, water or electricity
  • Major structural damage
  • A serious security problem, such as a street door that cannot be locked
  • A gas escape, in which case contact the national freephone gas emergency number on 0800 111 999

Our contractor will make the situation safe and if necessary return later to carry out a permanent repair.

Routine repairs and how to report them

Report routine repairs:

Sometimes we will need to make an inspection before carrying out a repair.