If you or your family has been impacted or suffered loss as a result of not being able to prove your immigration status, you may be eligible to claim compensation under the Windrush Compensation Scheme.

United Legal Access is working to support residents on a pro bono (free-of-charge) basis. Registered lawyers, United Legal Access is assisting victims of the Windrush Scandal who wish to make claims to the Windrush Compensation Scheme.

What is the Windrush Compensation Scheme

The Windrush Compensation Scheme was set up by the UK Government in April 2018. It provides financial compensation to individuals and their families who arrived in the UK from Commonwealth countries and settled in the UK before 1 January 1973 (the Windrush Generation), and who suffered loss as a result of not being able to demonstrate their lawful right to live and work in the UK.

The introduction of the Immigration Act 1971 granted settled Commonwealth citizens indefinite leave to remain in the UK but prevented further settlement of overseas British passport holders unless they could provide evidence of both a grandparent being born in the UK and a work permit.

The Home Office failed to issue those settled citizens with the documentation detailing their indefinite leave to remain. This made it extremely difficult for the Windrush Generation to prove their legal right to stay and many were not able to access the NHS, have had limited employment opportunities, and have faced threats of deportation.

How United Legal Access can Help

In August 2019, United Legal Access (“ULA”) set up legal advice clinics to support victims of the Windrush Scandal who wanted to apply to the Compensation Scheme. It was anticipated that the Compensation Scheme would receive roughly 15,000 applications with an estimated worth of £200 million before the application deadline in April 2023. As at March 2021, only 1,275 applications have been made to the Compensation Scheme. Through organisations such as Inquilab Housing Association, ULA hopse to reach more victims of the Windrush Scandal to both inform them of the existence of the Compensation Scheme and, if they so choose, to assist them, free-of-charge, in applying for the compensation they are entitled to.

For more information and to find out if you are eligible

You may be eligible for compensation from the Windrush Compensation Scheme if you are a Commonwealth citizen who:

  • was settled in the UK before 1 January 1973 and have lived continuously in the UK since then;
  • was settled in the UK before 1 January 1973 and if your settled status has lapsed
  • have the right of abode in the UK and were ordinarily a resident on 1 January 1973

Or if you are:

  • a child of a Commonwealth citizen (including one who has a right of abode) who was settled in the UK before 1 January 1973. To qualify, you must have been born in the UK or arrived in the UK before the age of 18, and have lived continuously in the UK since your arrival
  • a person of any nationality who arrived in the UK before 31 December 1988 and have indefinite leave to remain.

If you believe you or a family member meets any of the above eligibility criteria, you can contact ULA for free support in making a free application for compensation using the contact details below:



Address: 7 Bell Yard, London, WC2A 2JR

Telephone number: 07902 836373

Office Hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays // 10:00 – 16:00

Click here to download a poster with more contact information: Windrush Poster Updated 23-12-20 (2)0

More details on the scheme can be found here: