Home Safety for Homeowners
As Leaseholders and Freeholders it is still important to keep your home safe, especially when in a shared block. Inquilab can offer fair rates to ensure your compliance.
We offer free advice, please contact Customer Services on 0208 607 7777 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You are strongly advised to have your gas installation and equipment serviced annually.
What is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless, poisonous gas. It has no smell and you cannot see it, but it can kill without warning.
The early symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning are like those of flu, but without the fever. They include headache, tiredness, shortness of breath, feeling sick and dizziness.
You can help keep yourself safe from Carbon Monoxide poisoning by taking the taking the following precautions:
Not interfering with your boiler or gas cooker
Using a Gas Safe registered contractor to install and service your gas cooker
Not blocking air vents on an appliance, or any grilles, flues or air bricks in the room that houses the boiler
Never using an appliance you think may not be working properly. Report your concerns to Inquilab
Never burning charcoal in your home, garage, vehicle or tent, as the fumes contain carbon monoxide
Never using portable camping cookers or calor gas heaters in your home
Never leaving a car engine running in a garage attached to your home, even with the garage door open
Never using the gas cooker to heat your home
Never using an unvented gas appliance in a room with closed doors or windows or in any room where people are sleeping
Installing Carbon Monoxide detectors/alarms and making sure they are not covered by furniture or curtains
If you think there may be a gas leak in your home, turn off your gas supply straight away at the meter and call the national free-phone gas emergency number on: 0800 111 999
If you smell gas:
Extinguish anything that makes a fire or flame (such as candles or your gas cooker)
Open all of your doors and windows
Put out any cigarettes
Don’t use matches or naked flames
Don’t turn any light switches or power switches on or off as they could make a spark
Why do I need an annual gas service and safety check?
Every year in the UK about 50 people die from Carbon Monoxide poisoning due to faulty gas fires, central heating boilers, cookers and other gas appliances. As well as making your home safer, a check will make sure your appliances are working properly and efficiently. This will help save you money on fuel bills.
What does the check involve?
The safety check is free and takes about 40 minutes. Your contractor will check and service your boiler, gas pipes and flues (vents that take the fumes outside). They will also check the connection to your gas cooker, but not the cooker itself. It is your responsibility to make sure the cooker is safe, but your contractor will tell you if there is a problem.
What happens after the check?
After the check, our contractor will give you a gas safety certificate, known as a CP12 or LGSR (Landlords Gas Safety Record). Inquilab will receive a copy of it.
If I no longer use gas in my home, do I still need a check?
Even if the gas meter in your home has been turned off, we still need to check the supply pipes to make sure there are no gas leaks.
How is my yearly check arranged?
You are responsible for arranging your own Annual Gas Service. Inquilab use K&T Heating Limited to carry out gas servicing on all of its properties. To take advantage of preferential terms for your gas service, contact K&T directly on 020 8269 4500 and quote “Inquilab Leaseholder”
Inquilab Leaseholders can take advantage of a preferential Gas service and maintenance contract from K&T Heating limited. The contract options, coverage and costs are available in the table below.
To purchase one of these contracts, or to find out more, contact K&T Heating Limited on 020 8269 4500, quoting “Inquilab Leaseholder”.
|Cover Options||Standard protection £102 per year (12 month contract)||Classic protection £135 per year (12 month contract) £11.25 per month||Premium protection £192 per year (24 month contract) £16.00 per month|
|Full Gas Inspection when joining the scheme||√||√||√|
|Annual boiler service and gas safety check, including visual check on cooker appliances||√||√||√|
|24 hour emergency response facility, 24/7 - 365 days of the year||√||√|
|Advice on looking after your boiler and system by our gas engineer||√||√||√|
|Parts an labour included with no excess on callouts||√||√|
|£50 callout fee, in the event your heating system breaks down||√|
|Internal gas supply pipework from meter||√||√|
|Electrical inspection completed on year 5||√|
Asbestos was widely used in constructing buildings before 1999, but today it is illegal to use asbestos in any form. It is perfectly safe if left undisturbed.
We have to know which of our properties contain asbestos, so if your home was built before 1999, we may need to survey it to check whether asbestos is present.
If our contractor Armstrong York contacts you, please allow them in to survey your home. If they find asbestos, they will tell you about any risks and send a report to Inquilab. This will either advise us to remove the asbestos or to leave it alone, in which case we will check its condition every year.
If you are concerned that you may have asbestos in your home, please contact us for advice. We may arrange for a survey to be carried out.
Modern homes are better insulated than older ones and this can be a cause of condensation.
Condensation is sometimes confused with damp, which is very rare and usually caused by rain water entering through the roof or walls.
Condensation is the effect of moist air caused by day to day activities, such as running a bath, taking a shower, drying laundry and cooking. When the moist air meets a colder surface, such as windows, walls and tiles, it condenses and turns to water.
If left untreated this can turn black and form a mould.
The best way to beat condensation is to prevent moisture forming by:
Covering saucepans with lids when cooking
Keeping the bathroom door closed and using the extractor fan or opening a window slightly when having a bath or shower
Not drying laundry on radiators (use a clothes airer by an open window instead)
If you find condensation forming on your windows or elsewhere, wipe the area dry as this will help prevent mould growing.
You should also pay attention to ventilation, temperature and insulation in your home by:
Using your extractor fan or the vents in your windows and don’t block up air bricks
Maintaining a steady temperature in your home
Making sure your loft (if you have one) is insulated, that your hot water cylinder has a jacket and that you keep the curtains drawn during colder weather
For more information on condensation and to obtain a hygrometer to measure the amount of moisture in the air, call us on 0208 607 7777